Before starting your part-time job search, spend some time reading this article to find out all the essential information about where to find a job, expected income, and most importantly, the legal regulations applied to students taking part-time jobs.

Where can I get job information?

  • Student Services at your university and the local representative of the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) can give information on available student jobs.
  • Also, check the online job boards on your university website and in the digital media run by student services.
  • Besides, notices on the blackboard (schwarzes Brett) - the large information boards at different locations on campus.
  • Some famous websites for job seekers: indeed, monster, Joblift, Stellenangebote, Stepstone, Xing, LinkedIn, Bundesagentur für Arbeit, etc.


What part-time jobs can I take?

You can do your part-time job during your study in Germany as:

  • Mini job employee
  • Werkstudent (working student)
  • HiWi - wissenschaftliche Hilfskraft (academic assistant)
  • Internship

As a mini job employee:

  • you can earn monthly max. 450 Euros - tax-free.
  • you don't need to pay the pension insurance.

As a Werkstudent:

  • you can earn more than 450 euro per month.
  • you must pay the pension insurance which amounts to 9.3% of the income.
  • you will have to pay income tax if your earning exceeds 9,408 €/year (2020). If your monthly income is higher than 784 euros per month, you are also required to pay income tax. However, if the total amount of income you earn a year is less than 9,408 euros, then you can get a tax refund after submitting your tax declaration (Steuererklärung).
  • We strongly suggest students do your tax declaration at the end of the year and submit it to the “Finanzamt” (Tax Office).

As a HiWi:

You will work at your university. Your responsibilities include working as a librarian, teaching assistant, or research assistant for professors. The big benefit you can reap is that you can apply what you have learned at university while working as an academic assistant.

For example, conducting tutorials is one good way for you to put your knowledge to the test - as you can only teach when you really understand - and review your lessons at the same time. It’s a huge advantage to be able to combine your work and study.

You can keep yourself updated on new vacancies by visiting your department or find the information on the blackboards which are everywhere at your university.

As an intern:

There are two types of internship namely voluntary and mandatory internship. They differ greatly in terms of legal regulations as follows:

A voluntary internship (including unpaid work): each working day will be deducted from your 120-day limit as this type of internship is considered regular work. A mandatory internship is an internship that you are required to take during your studies at a university. If this is the case, you are allowed to work longer hours and the internship will not affect your 120-day limit.


You must be wondering what the 120-day limit is and what it has to do with all the internship, right? Here’s the answer to your question!

General rules applying to students who are from non-European Union nor Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland are as follows:

  • You are allowed up to 120 working days (fulltime) and 240 working days (part-time)
  • You mustn’t be self-employed
  • For longer working hours, you will need the approval from the local Employment Office (Agentur für Arbeit) and the Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde).
  • Academic assistants are exempted from this 120-day limit rule, however, for more working hours, you still need to talk with your Foreigners’ Registration Office.

You can also take a look at your supplementary sheet (Zusatzblatt) in your German Residence Permit (Aufenthaltstitel). You can see how many working hours you are allowed to.

Taxes and insurance for Minijober

As we mentioned above, it doesn’t matter whether you are a student from Germany/EU or not, you can take a mini job with which you can earn up to €450/month. You are still required to pay tax but it’s a lot less complicated than paying taxes for the income you earn from other types of jobs in Germany.

If you have to pay tax, then the first question is how much you need to pay. We have the answers for you right here in this article! You will either pay a 2-percent or 20-percent tax which is called in German “Pauschsteuer”. Here’s how it works:

  • 2-percent tax: this applies when you only take one mini job. Your employer will decide who will pay this 2 percent tax. For example, your salary is €450 and you are responsible for the tax yourself, then your actual salary is around €441. In case your employer takes care of your tax, you will receive a full payment of €450 monthly.
  • 20-percent tax: If you have a full-time job and an additional mini job or you have several mini-jobs, you will need to pay 20 percent of tax. In this case, your employer should register at the Tax Office (Finanzamt) to pay your Solidaritätszuschlag and Kirchensteuer. But it’s not so common to pay tax in this way in Germany.

Different types of taxes in Germany and how to pay them is one of the most asked questions if one decides to work in Germany. As a permanent employee in Germany, one should pay social security contributions which include health insurance, nursing care insurance, pension, and unemployment insurance. But in case you take one mini-job, you don’t need to pay for all of them, just for retirement insurance. But this is also completely voluntary. Usually, you would tell your employer whether you want to pay it before starting your mini job. 3.6 percent will be deducted from your monthly salary to pay retirement insurance if you are willing to pay.

One quick tip

In Germany, you can find all the essential information about tax in Finanzamt. (Just google “Finanzamt + city name”, and then you will find out where your Finanzamt is.) So if you still have any questions related to paying tax as a student, you can go there and ask for detailed explanations.