Registration at a local Residents’ Registration Office

Usually, the registration is processed at Einwohnermeldeamt or Bürgeramt. Google the keyword “Einwohnermeldeamt + city name” and you will find the address of the office in your city. Note: for big and crowded cities, for example, Hamburg, you will need to book an appointment before the registration.

The required documents are as follows:

  • Leasing agreement
  • Passport (visa enclosed)
  • Registration form

If you need help to fill the registration form, don’t hesitate to read this

When you move to another city, you will need to register again (Ummelden) within 2 weeks in the new city. After registering, you will receive a confirmation - Meldebestätigung which you can use to extend your visa.

You ought to book an appointment as soon as possible because they are usually fully booked over the course of 2 weeks! But in case you can’t get a slot soon enough for your registration deadline, don’t worry! You can still book an appointment online. After that, you will receive an email from the registration office. This email can serve as temporary proof in case you cannot register your address on time.


Visa extension

Visa extension can be done at the Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) in your city. Because these years Germany has more and more foreigners, it would be much better to book an appointment prior to your visit. All the required documents include but are not limited to:

  • Passport
  • Confirmation of your registration (Meldebestätigung)
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Enrollment confirmation from your university
  • Passport photos
  • Financial proof
  • Visa extension form

Any other documents you need to submit will be specified by your local Foreigners’ Registration Office, so check with them to get everything ready. A checklist of all required documents can be found on the website of the Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde). You also need to pay a fee of around 100€ for your residence card. And one important thing is always apply for visa extension 6 months prior to the visa’s expiration. Otherwise, you can run into some unnecessary problems. For more information about all the required documents to apply for a residence permit, EDUBAO would recommend you read

Just like registering for the Meldebescheinigung, it is also difficult, sometimes even much more difficult, to make an appointment with the Foreigners’ Registration Office. It happens to other people as well so don't worry if you cannot extend your visa on time. Our recommendation is to book the nearest appointment online. As long as you will be staying in Germany during this time, it's no problem with the confirmation from the Foreigners’ Registration Office. In case you want to go outside of Germany, you then need a “Fiktionsbescheinigung”. We will shortly instruct you on how to register for one in the next part. Stay tuned!

EDUBAO_5320_Registration and Residence Permit Vorseite_M.jpg


Fiktionsbescheinigung - temporary proof of visa

The processing time for your visa is usually 4 - 6 weeks. In case you need to go outside of Germany during this time, you cannot re-enter Germany if you still don’t have a valid visa. In this case, you will need to register for a Fiktionsbescheinigung before leaving Germany.

It works the same way a visa does, showing that you are staying in Germany legally and can freely travel outside and go back to the country. The expiration date is usually 3 months after the official issuance. If you want to apply for Fiktionsbescheinigung, you will need to submit all the documents that would be required for your visa application. However, the requirements may vary, depending on the local officers. So don’t forget to check at the local Registration Office before proceeding with the application.

Above are the main points you need to grab to finish this step. If there is anything that makes you confused, send us a message and we will sort it out for you! If not, let’s move to the next step!