Where to check?

With the DAAD entrance qualification database or anabin database, which is run by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (Kultusministerkonferenz) – Central Center for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen), you can check whether your degree is accepted in Germany.

However, the anabin list is not complete. Thus, it is possible that your certificate, degree or the institutions where you studied are not listed there. But don’t worry, because it doesn’t mean that your degree is not recognized.

This website is only in German, but we will give you a full guide on how to use it. Let‘s get started!


How to check?

By degree

Step 1: Go to https://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html The home page looks like this:


Step 2: Find “Hochschulabschlüsse” on the left and click on it, then you will see:

EN - VN - CN 2106-2.png

Step 3: You will see two categories namely “Suchen nach Abschlüssen” and “Suchen nach Abschlusstypen” on the right, which means you can search according to your major and degree. But either way, you have to choose the country where you have got your graduation. You will see the screenshot in the following with the example “suchen nach Abschlüssen”.

English translation : Länder: country; Studienrichtung: study field; Bitte geben Sie einen Suchbegriff ein: Please enter a search term; Suche starten: start research; Suche zurücksetzen: cancel research


Please note that non-Latin languages such as Russian, Arabic, or Chinese are displayed

Step 4: After filling in the information, you will see something like the following screenshot. Here, we take “Chemistry + China” as an example.


Click this “+”, then you will see more information about this subject in your chosen country.

Step 5: The information is displayed in 3 sections, sometimes it can be 4 sections:

  • Beschreibung - Description
  • Verleihende Institutionen - in which institution did you get your degree
  • Bewertung - Assessment
  • Weiterführende Informationen - further information

Then you can click the “+” on the left for more information about each category.



Step 6: Information on how to classify the respective grades in the German education system (Äquivalenzklasse) can be obtained under "Bewertung" (by tapping on the plus symbol). The classifications are as follows:

  • bedingt vergleichbar(conditionally comparable): Formally, there are several differences between the status of your degree in its country of origin and that in the German education system. For instance, degrees that have been obtained in the original country at the university level are only equivalent to those in vocational colleges in Germany.
  • Entspricht (corresponds to): There are no significant differences between your degree and the German qualifications.

  • Gleichwertig (equivalent to): The diploma is formally equal to a German degree


By institution

Step 1: Go to https://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html

Step 2: Click on “Institutionen” on the left

Step 3: Search the institution where you received your graduate degree by opening the “Suchen” tab.


Step 4: After clicking on “Suchen”, you will see a table like the one before:


Step 5: After finding your university, open the record and click on “Status” (click on the plus sign on the left side of the table for more details). Then another table will appear:


The institutes may have the following status type:

  • H+: Your institution is equally recognized in Germany
  • H-: Your institution is not recognized in Germany.
  • H+/-: Your institution’s status cannot be categorized. This is the case, for example, if certain programs are certified to be offered by a higher education institution while others are not due to the length of the program and/or the level.